Sunday, September 13, 2020

Exchange At A Stoplight

So this happened: I have a Black Lives Matter sign in my car window. At a stoplight a man on a motorcycle playing that song, "what's your name, little girl?" (🤢🤮) says to me, "Does my life matter?" I look at him and he repeats the question. Finally I reply, "uh, yeah," in my most irritated valley girl voice. "Then why don't you put that up there." "Because I put this up there", I reply, getting angry and I admit a little scared. "You need to put that up there! You need to put ALL lives matter! " I'm not really thinking now, I just say, "No... I don't have to put that..." " He says "I can't hear you", so I say again, kind of shouting now, "I said I DON'T HAVE TO PUT THAT!" He calls me a racist and drives away. The good part was though, a young man who was also at the light, beeped his horn and waved at me. He was "that was AWESOME! That was so awesome!! Thank you so much!" The warmth and connection I felt from that man's appreciation made the whole thing worth it.


No comments: